Thursday, November 22, 2007

Letter from Fr. Michael, October 2006


Letter sent to friends of Father Michael Barton:

Hello from Africa and from Northern Bar el Gazel in South Sudan and from Nyamlell in particular.
This must be the year of the snake because I have had two of them in my room and three on the veranda, and the biggest cobra that I have seen in Africa was waiting for me in our shower room as I was starting my day. Did it ever frighten me but slowly but surely I killed it and not it me. I had the help of another young man who serves as our watchman but he, like me, was a terrible thrower. After a lot of effort we smashed its ugly head and tale.
The Dinkas call a cobra "Atak" which is the same word that is used to think. It raises up and spits when it is thinking, well, that one thought five time at me but I stayed far enough away so that it could not blind me nor bite me.
I spent several nights thinking about it so you see it also got me to think.
We are now in the fifth week of the second semester. It is a very difficult year due to the teacher situation, yet all is going forward as best as possible.
I have the convent done finally and now we are putting on the screens and shower and bowls in the pit latrine. Also there is another house in that compound that I am trying to repair so as to be used as a mothers center. Two more classrooms are finished and four more are still to be done this year if God so allows and wants. We also put our boat into the water and the children are using it to ferry the Lol River to and from school and church and other activities.
I have been to some 18 chapels this last month. Then from September 1-11 I went to Nairobi to renew my American passport. I also made a spiritual retreat for six days in a Jesuit House in the suburbs of the Kenyan capital.
I want to thank you for your prayers and let you know that you are in mine.
Yours in the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
Michael D. Barton

No comments: