Thursday, November 22, 2007

Excerpt from letter by Fr. Michael, May, 2003


I was out most of Lent and every weekend of the Eastertide. We started the new school year on April 15. On April 14 I had a daylong course for the catechists to plan the teaching of the catechism over a nine-month period. We had prayers and at the end of the day payment for three months. Then a new school year and still a very dry time of year with the whole river bed dry.
The schools are smaller than last year but we now have class six and a very small library for the teachers and classes five and six.
I had Palm Sunday in an important center, which has many palm trees in and around it. So people were pulling branches down from the trees as the Gospel says. We had a huge crows and palms everywhere. What more was needed? But some of Mark's passion and the naked boy running away, and we had plenty of them too. I read how Mark wrote that so that the Christians in Rome would forgive the apostates during the persecutions. Forgive everyone even me who ran away when the Lord needed me. He did.
I was in the parish for the Triduum but went to a chapel for Holy Saturday morning, which is forbidden but time cannot be wasted. I went out again on Easter Monday and did not break any laws.
School is full time and I enjoy ti very much. We are beginning small. Will we stay small forever? Maybe, maybe not. We have library twice a week. No Dewey system. I gave out a book and no quesitons or arguments. They can keep it for up to seven days. They then have to bring it back. I have 34 books sent by Jane Lichtenberg who works at the Indianapolis Star.
On Good Friday I was deeply impressed in John's Gospel about Jesus' burial and the hundred pounds of aromatic spices used to anoint the body of the dead Jesus. I read that it was showing Jesus as an Old Testament bridegroom preparing for his bride. He really turned a hopeless situation into a glorious triumph.
Happy summer!
Yours in the Risen Lord,
Michael

No comments: