Thursday, November 22, 2007

Letter from Father Michael, March 2007


Well, we ended the school year with most of the pupils promoted. On Jan. 10 I gave the students of class eight their primary leaving certificates. The school at Marial Baai did worse than last year. Nyamlell got the first place out of all the 13 Catholic schools in the Diocese of Rumbek. I was surprised by this and very pleased. However, also to my surprise the authorities of the diocese and the education office will not give me any teacher from outside, and are very bitter than I don't attend their meetings. Oh, well!!!
In the year 2006 we had 1,859 baptisms, 236 confirmations, 46 marriages and 3 burials.
I said 465 Masses and Father Pax said 293 Masses. Already this year of 2007 we have had over 1,000 baptisms. I was out in the chapels from Dec. 38 to Feb. 18 and from Feb. 19 to March 1. The rest of March will be out in the centers and chapels. I may also visit the Comboni mission about 120 miles away. I hope to stay here in Nyamlell until Easter just to start the school year and then start the home leave after Easter.
I am having trouble finding teachers for 2007 so pray for me and our pastoral and educational work. The OLSH sisters have a satellite phone and can receive text messages. Their house is about 75 to 100 meters away. So to phone me is not a good idea. There telephone number is 8821643334941.
I end here as I am feverish with malaria and tired from teaching six hours and doing other things to keep the teachers course up and going.
Yours in this Lenten season
Michael D. Barton.

No comments: