Thursday, November 22, 2007

Letter from Fr. Michael, January 2006


I have been really busy in December and into January. In early November I had to make the exam schedule and give them to our two Catholic schools. On Dec. 9-18 I was on my bicycle visiting nine faraway chapels and ended up at the government control town of Aweil (sp?) in which there is a beautiful Catholic Church and another Sudanese priest. Then I came back to Nyamlell for the last week of teaching and first examinations ...
Then came the cleaning of the church and washing of the walls and floors. We put up lights too for the first time ever. I hooked everything up to see if it all works and then after dark - nothing. I did get the lights to work but not the microphone so no one could hear my homily for the midnight Mass. After the Mass I put my subject marks on the certificates of my pupils and went to Adhal for a video showing and Mass on the 26th, where we had another huge crowd with teachers gathering to prepare the children's certificates. I went after Mass to buy two bulls for the day.
I went on the 27th to another center for another Christmas Mass and 67 infant baptisms. On the 28th I went to two smaller chapels and had more baptisms. I then went back to register all the certificates done by grade eight boys.
On the 29th I was to go to two small chapels but the car stalled in a river and I had to walk to get help, then walked to one place and had late Mass. On the 30th I went two two chapels and on the 31st of December to still another chapel, now all on foot because I could no longer trust the car. After Mass I walked four hours back to where the car was under the hot Sudanese sun, and had a malaria attack. I put on a jacket and sweater until 11 pm when I went to midnight Mass to welcome in the New Year.
The next morning we had testing of 106 catechumens but only 8 passed and were baptized and confirmed in Marial Baai.
When the school certificates were given out, of the 13th Catholic schools in Rumbek Diocese, Marial Baai ranked 13th. Out of the 16 of Marial Baai class eight, only five would be allowed to attend our new high school.
There is hope for a better tomorrow. We got the car going and pumped it a few times manually and got home to Nyamlell.

Lots of blessings. In 2005 we had 1,300 baptisms, 202 confirmations and 43 marriages -- all done by me. Who else?

No comments: